COVID-19 and the FAI Community
The resources listed on this page are being updated regularly. Last update: 4/17/2020
As the world reacts and responds to the COVID-19 virus, we’d like to share some important updates with our community. Community health and safety is our highest priority, and with many communities issuing alerts, restrictions, and emergency declarations, it became clear to us and several regional affiliates that we could not proceed with upcoming scheduled events this spring.
Please note that the Nordic Folk Alliance conference (originally scheduled for March 31-April 2 in Gothenburg, Sweden) has been postponed to the fall, with a date to be determined. Please also note that the Southeast Regional Folk Alliance (SERFA) conference, originally planned for May 13-17, 2020 in Chattanooga, has been postponed until 2021, and the annual Regional Leaders Retreat in April will be held online by video conference rather than in person.
We have also suspended all work-related travel and as part of a proactive “social distancing” measure, FAI staff will be working remotely from home for the foreseeable future, maintaining standard office hours (9am-5pm CT) and available via our work email and phone numbers.
We realize that the cancelation of public gatherings and events globally has a significant impact on our community of freelance entrepreneurs. Despite that, we strongly encourage all music community/industry members to consider protective health measures that mitigate the spread of the virus, including the postponement of upcoming spring events, working from home, and the adoption of social distancing techniques until further notice by municipal/federal officials in your respective area.
Below are a few resources we’ve gathered to help our community navigate this public health crisis.
Health & Safety
- Mental Health and Psychosocial Considerations During COVID-19 Outbreak – WHO (World Health Organization)
- Information on social distancing from the University of Chicago
- COVID-19 information from the CDC
- “Coronavirus Disease 2019 vs. the Flu” by John Hopkins Medicine
- Birdsong Foundation
Emergency Funding (for artists and event producers)
- Recording Academy/MusiCares COVID-19 Emergency Relief Fund
- “Emergency Funds – All Art Forms” by WomenArts
- “Emergency Grant Resources for Artists” by Joan Mitchell Foundation
- UK – Claim a grant through the coronavirus (COVID-19) Self-employment Income Support Scheme
- Australia Council For The Arts First Response Package
- PRS For Music’s Emergency Relief Fund
- Where can I find emergency financial resources to help with COVID-19 hardships?
- Spotify COVID-19 Music Relief
- NEA Cares Act Guidelines: Grant Program Description
- Artist Relief
- A State-by-State Resource Guide for Musical Professionals Who Need Help During Coronavirus Crisis – Billboard
- “We Are Stronger Together: Navigating the Coronavirus Webinar” hosted by APAC (Alliance of Performing Arts Conferences)
- To access the webinar recording: locate the box on the right hand side with the title of the webinar, click on the box, click the orange “View Video” button
- COVID-19 Freelance Artist Resources
- “Arts and Culture Sector Can Prepare for the Coronavirus in the United States” by Americans for the Arts
- “Coronavirus, Performance Cancellations, and Congressional Action” by TCG (Theatre Communications Group)
- “Emergency Preparedness and Response” by APAP (Association of Performing Arts Professionals)
- Emergency resources by NYFA (New York Foundation for the Arts)
- COVID-19 Q&As by NAPAMA (North American Performing Arts Managers and Agents)
- Coronavirus Resources From Springboard for the Arts (Minnesota-specific and US resources)
- Resources from Canada Council for the Arts
- WEBINAR – Ask An Expert: Contracts, Insurance, Visas, Employment and Legislation in the COVID 19 Era – Presented by APAC
- A State-by-State Resource Guide for Music Professionals Who Need Help During Coronavirus Crisis
- Canada Emergency Response Benefit to help workers and businesses
- FAQ: Music workers accessing government support & relief during the Coronavirus pandemic
- Artist INC Cares: A Four-Part Series on Finding Financial Help – Presented by MAAA (Mid-America Arts Alliance)
- Crisis Engagement: 12 Tasks to Sustain Donors in Turbulent Times Webinar April 16 (Performing Arts Readiness)
- Pandemic Planning for the Performing Arts Webinar Webinar April 27 (Performing Arts Readiness)
- Event Planning and COVID-19: Questions and Answers – CDC